V1 - worth buying?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,768Gear list
Like?
Re: V1 - worth buying?
In reply to Jord, May 14, 2012

Jord wrote:

I'm a Nikon user already but for pro level SLR's but wanted a small compact camera I can carry around on holiday ect. I currently use an Olympus XZ-1 with the optional viewfinder which is a lovely compact but I think I'd prefer a built in viewfinder and better low light - above 800 iso the Oly really struggles.

So has anyone got the good the bad and the ugly on the V1 - my main needs are portability - I've got a D4 and a D700 if I wanted to lug them about.

I don't own a Nikon V1, but I am also looking at the various new mirrorl-ess cameras as a smaller, lighter, and more discrete alternative to my Nikon D7000. After much thought, I have come to the conclusion that CDAF is just too slow for any action and any camera that does not have the brief shutter lag and fast focusing PDAF of a DSLR is not an option for me. That just leaves the Nikon System One cameras with PDAF. However, I will wait a year for the next generation V2, which will hopefully have a built-in flash and more physical controls, etc. which will make it a much better photographic tool for me.

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow