EM-5 for professional wedding photography

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-5 for professional wedding photography
In reply to Blue Swan Media, May 14, 2012

Blue Swan Media wrote:

I picked up a D700 off CL yesterday as a third camera for weddings (was supposed to be the XP1, but let's just say that's not going to work out). Anyway, my 102-pound wife and sometimes second shooter could barely lift it with a grip and 70-200 attached, which got us into a protracted discussion on evolution of mirrorless tech.

Aww you're mean I don't even like to shoot with a 70-200 all day long! Give your wife a 85 f1.8, 105DC or 180 2.8 and things are a lot more manageble!

Regarding the question about EM-5 for wedding photography. I'm sure you could get by, especially as a second shooter, I know I got by with much lesser 4/3 bodies, though it wasn't easy!

However one thing I tend to mention when talking about going multisytem (especially 43/m43) is aspect ratios. I'm anal, so I always think about the customer experience, and I dislike giving clients mismatched aspect ratios. I don't want them to come to me with 100 4x6 print requests, and have to tell them they're faces or feet are going to be chopped off on the 4:3 ones. Obviously this goes both ways, when doing 8x10's or 11x14s, the sides get cropped off when shooting 3:2.

In anycase, this has been a big headache for me in the past, because you can go in with good intentions to frame appropriately with the 4:3 gear, but in the heat of the moment it's hard to keep that in mind, perhaps with m43 it'd be good to set it to 4:3 on the outset, and the liveview will mask the viewfinder (couldn't do that with the origional 43).

Also realize that if you're going m43 (outside of the GH1/2) you'll be cropping all your shots 3:2, which reduces the image quality, or at least you get less pixels in it's favor. But if you crop in post, you do have more leway for straightening.

I also have a wifey that 2nd shoots for me who weighs about the same as yours. Indeed the D700 is a beast for her, and we shoot primes only which makes it more manageable. I'd never get her to shoot any shoot even a portrait session with a 70-200 attached

In the end, I'd recommend sticking to similar systems if you can, but having a m43 body with some primes (there are NO comparible lens' to that 70-200 yet, though maybe next week ) is always handy, as it could be the everyday camera for family get togethers and such. Much smaller and lighter than most dslrs setups.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow