Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Don9111
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Which Camera Kit to Buy? Need Help.
May 14, 2012

First let me tell you about me. I am new to photography and have only owned point and shoot cameras. I do want to learn more and get better at it. I have 3 kids and they play sports and would like to capture these moments and all other important moments as well. My budget is ~$1K and I have decided between the 2 camera kits below. Both have great deals right now at Costco.

But the main reason for buying this camera is because I am going on a Safari trip to Africa and I want to get great pictures. This will be a trip of a lifetime and the photos will last forever. I have read many reviews about each of these cameras and one says this one is better or the other one is better. What I am looking for is the camera that will take the best pictures. Not as worried about Video capabilities as we have a dedicated video camera (maybe I should be concerned about video on the DSLR but not sure). I want the camera to be easy to use and take the best pictures in the moment. Not sure how much time I will spend touching up after the fact. I also realize that when you buy a camera you are buying into that family as the lenses are not interchangeable. Therefore, the lenses in the kit are also important as the lenses will last longer that the body.

So based on the above info about me and what I am looking for which one will be better. Thanks for the help because I am having a difficult time deciding.

Cannon Rebel T3i Digital SLR
18-55mm IS II Lens+ 55-250mm IS II Lens Bundle

Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera
with 18-55 & 55-300mm VR Lenses

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow