Spending 2 Weeks In Spain

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
oscarvdvelde
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: Spending 2 Weeks In Spain
In reply to nneubronner, May 14, 2012

nneubronner wrote:

Thanks for the info. I will be driving around though. Will it be easy to drive there?

It should be easy, could go over Martorell direction Manresa C-55, or over Terrassa C-58, although the FGC would just bring you there directly from Barcelona with no hassle.

I take it that the cremallera refers to a funicular or something similar? Some contraption that makes it easy to get up there?

Yes, it is a small train. You have the choice of driving up the road from Monistrol de Montserrat and then you are facing a long parking lot at the end, which may be quite full requiring you to walk longer, or you park at the cremallera station in Monistrol (41.615°N, 1.843°E)

So from my understanding and from what I see in Google Maps. Once I somehow make my way up to the monastery, I can take a trail that's on the right of the rear of the monastery that goes around the peak and then take the funicular back up to the top and get on my merry way?

41.592169°, 1.834572° is the location of the stairs to go up, but it's better to descend there after you make a trip starting from 41.588711°, 1.833180° (the cremallera starts at 41.591981°, 1.836386°) to the highest top if you like: 41.605342°, 1.811488° and then back through a bit of forest and the north side of the "valley" on top of Montserrat till you get at the stairs down at 41.591240°, 1.831456°. Trails are all very well marked including indications of time it takes to reach. If you do the circle the reverse direction, you will need to be in time for the last cremallera (those that go to the top stop much earlier than the one that brings you down from the monastery to the village), or take the trail you mention, or you would need to take the same trail back, a decision you can only make at 41.599878°, 1.818211°.

I haven't done the trail you talk about yet. You could start like that, the cremallera saves you some efforts but is also a little pricey.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow