What does power zoom mean to you?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724Gear list
Like?
Re: focus by wire sucked too
In reply to ryan2007, May 14, 2012

ryan2007 wrote:

By the time the action is in front of you does the zoom have to catch up to frame the shot, acquire focus, be sure you get focus confirmation or its blurry?

If power zoom is so good why is there not more out there even in the DSLR's. I think again not for me and not my money, but given a choice I would not use power zooms for the way I shoot and my workflow. Everything that is automatic is not always the best IMO.

To be honest I cannot see why by wire control must be slower in the scenario you presented. For people who have learned their mechanical zooms it will be slow or even impossible and frustrating in the beginning. I am still improving my skills with mine after months of use. But it would be the same the other way round. Someone grown up on power zooms would feel limited and uncomfortable on first attempting to use a mechanical one.

As to the Minolta power zooms in the early film days, I did not care for the Canon T80's way of doing AF and thought the in-body AF motors in the Maxxums great in comparison. If my predictions were right we'd not be using in-lens motors for AF.

Current power zooms are a long way from the first attempts of decades ago. However learning is necessary. Just like AF needed to be learned, automatic exposure needed to be learned, digital photography needed to be accepted over film, etc.

When weapons powered by gunpowder appeared, they were vastly inferior to what a skilled bowman could do with bow and arrows. Now bow and arrows only appear in the Olympics and even there they have fewer medals than guns.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow