How to set aparture and speed for using flash

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?
Re: How to set aparture and speed for using flash
In reply to Sokkheng, May 14, 2012

Sokkheng wrote:

I need help for using flash, How to set aparture and speed for proper exposure with the flash, i'm using canon EOS 550D.

The others above have given you some excellent, if very technical, advice. I will try to simplify it for you based on my learning experience and what was recommended to me when I first started down this path.

Camera mode: M (Manual)
ISO: 400
SS: 1/125 sec.

Av: Wide open (Small number) to f/8 depending on how light you want the background. Use wide open for more light on the BG and go up if you want to isolate your subject with a dark BG.

Avoid Av mode as it will prolly use a slow shutter speed and possibly blur the image.

I was very intimidated and reluctant to use M Mode, which was recommended to me, but once I tried it, I have almost never used anything else!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow