Prime for street photography at night

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,276Gear list
Like?
Re: How serious is this project?
In reply to erick4x4, May 14, 2012

erick4x4 wrote:

Look you can look at all the charts you want, real world experience is the Sigma is better.

Try it I promise you will find the same results I and most people who have used both have...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-EX-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

"The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens is somewhat soft wide open and steadily improves to quite sharp at f/2.8. Corner sharpness trails center sharpness by a stop or two. Bokeh from the 8-blade aperture is nice. Colors are decent, contrast is good. CA (Chromatic Aberration), though not absent, is very well controlled. Flare is well-controlled.

What are the alternatives? Well, the closest comparable lens Canon makes is the full-frame-DSLR-compatible Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Lens. These two lenses are more similar than they are different. The Canon 28 is 2/3 stops slower, shows more CA and flares even more easily."

Weird, this is in direct contradiction to his own chart test.

Flare? You shouldn't be shooting into the sun anyway.

I'm not saying its perfect, but what I am saying is that in real world the 28mm 1.8 is not good. It's mediocre on crop, its TERRIBLE on FF, yet one of the arguments for it is "it will work on FF".

It may be terrible on FF for corner sharpness at wider apertures, but if you're shooting landscapes where corner sharpness is critical you should be stopped down anyway, and the lens is fine there. Center sharpness is comparable to the 35L by f/5.6. Sure there are better choices for landscape or critical low light, but as a walk-around, candid lens, I've seen great results out of it from a wedding photographer friend who uses it on a 5D2.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that it's an alternative worth considering. I think it's easy enough to try lenses either by renting them or buying and then selling.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow