Why do people think....

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,653Gear list
Like?
Sensor dust
In reply to jrtrent, May 14, 2012

jrtrent wrote:

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Interchangeable lens cameras, except the Fuji GXR module system, will be more prone to sensor dust issues, which I found a real pain with a couple of the DSLR's I've owned.

Have you tried the newer models with automatic sensor cleaning? Dust was a major hassle spoiling the fun with my EOS 20D, and I upgraded to the EOS 40D (the foirst one of this line with sensor-cleaning) for that reason. And indeed, this upgrade largely solved the sensor dust issue...

...on the other hand, my EOS 20D is doing quite fine now as well. I wonder whether much of the dust was internal abrasion. It is now old and well "worn-in" and spotty skies are largely a thing of the past....

I've loved the SLR form factor for decades, but haven't found a digital version I enjoy shooting with. Operation is so compromised compared to the manual-focus film models I've enjoyed (and continue to enjoy in the form of a Contax 139Q--I never did buy an auto-focus film SLR) that I find them frustrating to use. I get more pleasure from a compact like the P7100.

I agree to some point, also enjoyed using my RICOH KR-10. Autofocus often has a mind of its own, and manual focus point selection is often more of a hassle than manual foccusing. For the latter, however, I miss the split screen. There are some to be manually installed but I wonder what trade-offs nthis does bring...

The industry/market seems to have a mania for focal length changes. It doesn't seem all that long ago when most casual photography hobbyists were using a variety of folding cameras, box cameras, TLR's, rangefinders and even SLR's with just a normal lens attached. I wonder how many people might get better pictures with just one focal length to use and master instead of a zoom ring with infinite possibilities.

I would think the ability to shoot without any cost implication brought a great increase in quantity at the expense of quality. People more carefully composed when they had to buy film, and the number of shots were limited. On the other hand, "costless" shooting and instant check-up of the results makes it easier to systematically improve your technique and to learn by trial and error
--
Chris
-----
http://christopher363.redbubble.com
http://www.whitewall.com/christopher

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow