Canon EF "L" lenses on Fuji X-Pro 1 (photos)

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817Gear list
Like?
Canon EF "L" lenses on Fuji X-Pro 1 (photos)
May 14, 2012

I continued my test of the Kipon Canon EF to Fuji XF lens adapter on the weekend. As I am happy with the Fuji XF 18mm and 35mm I tested some zoom lenses as Fuji does not offer anything past 60mm, yet.

First was the Canon EF 135mm f/2 L

I think this is the sharpest lesns in my Canon collection and I had high hopes of its performance on the X-Pro 1 sensor. And even at f/2 neither the lens nor the camera disappointed me:

Download the "Original"

The details of the 100% size are great and the bokeh is beautiful. Focusing a still object is pretty easy, but focusing at this shallow dof is tricky on a moving object.

Now let's do the extreme:

Canon EF 70-200mm F4 IS L plus TC 1.4x II @f/5.6 on the X-Pro 1. Obviously the lens is holding the camera and not vice versa

The field of view of the 1.5 crop plus TC 1.4x II at 200mm is equivalent to 420mm on a 35mm frame sensor. The EF 70-200mm f/4 IS L is also a very sharp and contrasty lens on my full frame Canon DSLR but with TC the image quality already suffers a bit. So how will this set perform on a cropped sensor?

The weather was not ideal and the air not clear enough for high quality test shots, but it should be good enough to get an idea of the performance:

This old plane was flying over the city for the annual Hamburg harbour birthday celebrations:

Here is a crop of the image:

Focusing at a closer object to cut out the air disturbance:

And finally a crazy 2 mile shot across downtown. See the guy walking by the window on the top right of the building? Too bad the disturbance in the air gave this image a wavy "mirage" look:

My conclusion:

So far the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 is my favorite alternative lens on the X-Pro 1. It is light and short enough to be carried around with the Fuji. Focusing in the EVF is still ok with the 85mm (130mm FOV) and the lack of IS is still acceptable. I wrote about this combo and posted sample images here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1020&message=41474547

The Canon EF 135L f/2 creates beautiful and sharp images with a very smooth bokeh on the Fuji, but the weight, size and equivalent FOV of 200mm in addition to the lack of IS and the high zoom magnification of the EVF does not make this an ideal match. I would only use this for static objects as long as we don't have focus peaking or a lower magnification option in the EVF.

And this is the same for the Canon EF 70-200mm F4 IS L plus TC 1.4x II times 2.5! I was surprised at the image quality that the combo archieved (especially in the disturbance free roof top shot). After all, with TC and crop factor the lens has to resolve a lot of Mega Pixel on a very small portion of the glass. And it does! But lack of IS and the very high magnification factor on the EVF will make you dizzy and loose your object fast. I was lucky that the propeller plane moved relatively slow. But you'll will miss more shots than you like with this combination. I really hope that we get a second, lower magnification option on the X-Pro 1. Something like the Canon 5D MK II (1x, 5x, 10x) would make this combo more user friendly. And add focus peaking into that FW update, too and we're in for a lot of manual focusing fun

Cheers,
Smatty

Homepage => http://www.PhotosdeLux.com
Recent Flickr Photos => http://www.flickr.com/photos/internationalphotos/

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow