Nex 7 EVF - bright sunshine

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
JacquesBalthazar
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex 7 EVF - bright sunshine (nightmare)
In reply to JacquesBalthazar, May 14, 2012

In Brussels, we've had a crappy month of May (after a crappy April). But sunshine re-emerged last week-end, and, with it, re-merged my issues with the Nex 7 EVF.

Same scenario as first time around with me wearing shades. I wear prescription shades with corrections that match my normal glasses, a complex combination of near/far corrections.

Anyway, I have set the dioptric correction of the EVF for me wearing those glasses, and the combo works perfectly in all shooting situations when I wear clear glasses. The flip side of this is that the EVF gets fuzzy when I do not wear my glasses. That is normal, and I do not want to fiddle around with diopter settings depending if I have glasses on my nose or not.

So, to cut a long story short, I wear prescription glasses and shoot with glasses on. And when the sun shines bright I wear corrected shades. That is when the NEX 7 falls apart for me.

Again yesterday, I found myself in a situation (sitting at a sunny pub terrace, with sun shining behind my right shoulder) where framing was basically impossible. I manually switched EVF to always "on" rather than auto as I thought the issue was with the auto switch feature. That turned into an even worse catastrophy as I could not even read the menu in EVF. Just a black hole with occasional silhouettes popping up. Had to contort myself, without my shades, to fix and get LCD back on. Felt silly and useless.

I am seriously unhappy with this. I do not have the issue to the same degree with my V1 by the way, which also has a EVF. No idea why one works more or less, and the other does not work at all. Anyway, I suddenly long for an OVF again, with a Fuji urge.

Have not seen much litterature about this. Might be linked to the fact that the NEX7 became widely available during the Northern hemisphere winter, and that people are only now discovering how frustrating it is in the sunshine?

So this is a word of warning: as wonderful the Nex7 is (and it really is), its viewfinder system can be badly flawed for a number of situations. Beware of sunny days, and do not wear prescription shades.

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow