Can Nikon be shamed into giving us what Canon users get for free?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Nikon be shamed into giving us what Canon users get for free?
In reply to Graystar, May 14, 2012

Graystar wrote:

Phaedarus wrote:

I'm referring to the lack of a live DOF and histogram preview on Nikon's sub-professional camera line.

I think it's an embarrassment to a company that prides itself on being among the top tier camera manufacturers that such critical tools are being withheld from the mid-range and entry-level camera models.

Probably because not everyone considers those to be critical tools. I see them as useless.

Live histograms are inaccurate due to the vastly reduced DR. And if you're using LiveView then you're on a tripod anyways so take a test shot and examine the histogram (which I view as a poor tool in any case.) And DOF preview might sound good on paper, but even zoomed in it's difficult to tell if things are in focus. That's why focus-peaking has been so well received (which is idiotic to me, because that's basically the autofocus system...so just use autofocus! But I digress...)

I agree. I don't have any use for a live histogram. That's for rank amateurs who shoot JPEGs. My gosh, what would these poor souls if they had to shoot film?
Don't use DOF preview either.

I do like the 5 year warranty on Nikon lenses that Canon does not have though!
--
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow