The Race

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,690
Like?
My personal guidelines on cropping etc are...
In reply to Vidau, May 14, 2012

Vidau wrote:

Pimpleportrait said:

"I suppose a little cheating won't hurt."

I think..... working in your photo; croping, erasing, adding etc. is not cheating.

My personal guidelines on cropping, cloning, post-processing are as follows:

• Colour enhancements, contrast work, conversion to B&W etc are always considered : whatever makes the shot looks best.

• The same is valid for cropping of the images: framing in-camera is a nice goal, but if a crop improves the image, then the crop will be made, for whatever purposes the photo is intended.

• I take a different stance on cloning, or adding visual elements: if the shot is made for documentary/journalistic purposes, I will not clone or add. No removal of pimples from faces, no removal of birds from the sky, or of a trashcan in front of the landmark. If the shot is however done for "artistic" purposes, I will allow minor cloning to remove distracting elements that could also have been removed in real life. Trash could have been picked up, a stray cat could have walked away, a bird in the sky right above my decisive moment could just as well not have been there. But I will not do extensive cloning away of elements that are just part of the scene (also, I admit, because I am not good enough to remove a whole tree or line of telephone poles, without it being noticeable).

In this particular case, cropping away the father or not is a choice one can debate about.

That piece of building right next to him:

• yes, I admit it would look better without that (I had actually not really noticed it before someone mentioned it, but it would be better if not in the frame or at least more separated)

• but it is there and I will just have to keep it : I was concentrating on my decisive moment for the kids and pressed the shutter when it came - if I had watched the background more and waited for separation between father and building, I would have missed the golden moment on the children. That's life.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow