Just a thought: Nex camera with retro design

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,128Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't knock what you're not old enough to have used
In reply to dj0502, May 14, 2012

I'm one of the old f..ts the retro look is supposed to appeal to. OK, they were kinda nice and yes I still have my SRT-102. Having said that, I think that what a lot of us are looking for is decent ergonomics. Most of the "styling" of the old cameras was ergonomically dictated. The old bodies had decent room to grab hold of them and not worry about fouling the dratted menu button or video record button. They had excellent focusing aids in their bright viewfinders. Even match-needle metering could be really nice when shooting in a hurry when you got familiar with the camera (back lit -

just give it a click or two "that way"). Easy, fast and way better that poking a button and then twisting a knob.

I have fairly small hands and I still can't seem to find a safe place to grab my NEX-5N. It's worse if the lens is larger and heavier than the E series ones. Seriously, are you really supposed to hold the thing by pinching it in the upper corner? I wind up with my screen tilted up and my thumb planted under it. Otherwise I get cramps. On the NEX-7, what's wrong with the idea of marking one knob and just numbering the other for custom functions?

Would I give up the computer aids and OSS? Um... no, I'm old, I'm not stupid.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow