Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,842Gear list
Like?
More Wildlife w/ Sony 1.7x TC & 55-210
May 14, 2012

Another lovely week and weekend opportunities to shoot with my NEX-5N and 55-210mm lens, using the DH1758 1.7x teleextender...this time though, not in the wetlands, but in my backyard. I was in my pool this weekend and did some birding while cooling off in the water - it also lets me get pretty close to my backyard birds since I can approach them from their ground level, as I'm mostly submerged and stealthy. The backyard has had some healthy bird and other wildlife activity lately, so it turned out to be a pretty diverse shoot, and I've included a few 100% crops to show the DH1758's performance for those curious.

Here's a grackle grabbing some seeds:

This pretty little cardinal was also happily eating the sunflower seeds on my deck:

This is a nearly full size shot (only slightly cropped), to give an idea of my proximity to the birds - shot at 210mm with the 1.7x TC:

And to show the teleextender's IQ, here's a 100% crop from the original out-of-camera JPG:

Also eating the seeds were the white-winged doves - very pretty details on these birds that you don't notice until you get close, including the wonderful color of the eye and eye surround, and the irridescent color across the back of the neck:

A squirrel happened by, and wanted his share of the bounty too:

Another dove that came by - this one a different type...a mourning dove:

Another squirrel came to the other side of the feeder and got real close, trying to assess the danger of the head sticking out of the pool with a silver and black thing pointed at him:

Apparently, nothing too threatening about me, so he went about eating:

Here's a nice big 100% crop from the original - expand to the original size to see the true 100% crop at 1600 pixels:

And one more pair - the resized shot:

Followed by the 100% crop (again, original size is the 1600 pixel true 100% crop):

Comments, questions, critique welcome. Hope you enjoyed the backyard birds this time!

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow