Drone for Photo/Video

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
kbanes
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Drone for Photo/Video
In reply to dcastigl, May 14, 2012

It depends on what you want.

I have just gone through the same process, and based on my needs and inexperience with RC craft, I bought an AR.Drone.

I would expect that the question will be answered for you by understanding what you expectations/needs are. What will you be using the photos/videos for? How good do they need to be?

It is really a "wild west" type situation in RC quad copters right now. You can get a rig that can carry just about any of the 4/3 bodies right now, but I suspect that it will cost you in the $1000 range, and you will have to put it together yourself. I have just recently started seeing dealers with a "fly out of the box" quad, but most people buy frames, motors, controller boards, and gimbals and do it themselves.

This is not for the faint of heart or the person on a budget. It takes a lot of guts to make me want to strap a $700 camera and a $700 dollar copter and put them 100 feet in the air.

For what its worth, I've already spent the cost of the AR.Drone on batteries, spare parts, and a range extender, and I have another $300 to go when I buy a ReplayHD camera to mount on it. The good news is that I knew all that going in.

For an idea of what its like in the AR.Drone world, visit:

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/

They have the most info there, and the forums are excellent.

For RC Quads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/multi-rotor-helis-659/

These threads get hard to follow, since some of them go on for 5000-10000 replies. But you get a good idea on what is available right now.

kbanes's gear list:kbanes's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow