Best place to buy an E-M5 outside NY state?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
Re: You do realize
In reply to Anders W, May 14, 2012

Anders W wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Well, the highly reputable B&H would (for the camera body) charge you (in USD) $999.00 + $300.52 in Swedish taxes + $58.15 for UPS 3-5 business day air shipping = $1357.68.

Nah. B&H doesn't charge Swedish taxes. But the Swedish authorities surely would if the camera was shipped directly to my location.

That is what B&H's web-site stated when I stepped through a hypothetical purchse from Sweden, Are you saying that your own government would then step forward with demands that you pay even more duties/taxes (if shipped to you where you live in Sweden) ?

Hmm. I checked what B&H actually says, and they now offer to take care of the Swedish taxes for you when you ship directly to Sweden. That might be new. I haven't seen it before. However, this is just an offer on their part. If you pay the tax to them, they guarantee that there will be no further expenses when the package arrives to Sweden. If you don't, you will (most likely) pay the tax+duty to the Swedish authorities later on.

Well, it is good to know that my eyes were not failing me ...

BTW: What about amazon in the present case? Aren't they forced to charge sales tax when shipping to any state (e.g., because they are considered to have a presence in every state or something like that)?

If and when they their corporation's sales-divisions do have an actual physical presence in a State (such as their home-base of Washington State, where I reside).

So if I were to order the E-M5 from amazon for shipping to NYC, would they then charge me sales tax? I think I saw something on their page about sales tax always having to be paid when shipping to at least some states, including NY if I remember correctly.

If Amazon has a "physical presence" in New York State, yes. I would be suprised if they did not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WTF?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow