Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,493Gear list
Like?
Re: different version
In reply to xtoph, May 14, 2012

xtoph wrote:

i was too lazy to update this somewhat poorly processed version before posting it. the proper version should look closer to this

although there are still some annoying tonal artifacts in this one, too.

You may be right, Chris. But let me list my considerations (and I've not spent any time studying this shot.)

The cap is far more saturated than anything else. It is not that interesting by itself.
The green clashed and it and the jeans are much more saturated than the wall.

Most importantly, the things that are important about this shot -- the relationship of the man and the statue and the tonal patterns on the wall can be emphasized in careful BW PP.

The cool thing is that the way the light hits his clothing, with its wrinkles, is visually similar enough to the cleft surface of the statue that a very subtle visual pun could be brought out. I think it would be wonderful.

fad wrote:

Great moment. I would so like to see this in BW.
--

i don't think so, frank. if you look at the scene in terms of how it will look in bw, it becomes completely different. a large part of why i took this picture had to do with the painted forms on the wall behind him (and the fringes of greenery, too). the problem is that those forms on the wall completely disappear in bw--this is in fact an excellent example of what bw shooters know as a 'tonal merger'.

I'm assuming you don't yet have the Leica MP Monochrom. In that case I don't understand why the different hues on the wall cannot be separated into different tones by either the color sliders in ACR or by selections and curves in PS.

But what I really want to see is the human made to visually resemble the statue.

theoretically, it would be possible to do a color replacement first to create a contrasting palette, but apart from being annoying and hard to do really well, i just don't really like messing with what was actually there that much.

thanks for the suggestion, though, and i can certainly understand the bw impulse. i would probably have knocked down his cap somewhat more, if it weren't for the fact that the team colors are recognizable enough that altering them would be obvious to many.

-- hide signature --

Frank

All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow