Canon 60 f/2.8 vs. 50 f/1.8

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,105Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 60 f/2.8 vs. 50 f/1.8
In reply to DoctorPDA, May 13, 2012

Had I seen this thread when you started, I would have steered you towards a wider focal length or a constant aperture zoom like the Tamron 17-50 VC.

But, I would have also included two images taken with my 60mm macro...

Low light example - 1/13, f2.8, ISO5000 on a 60D

Fast AF example (try nailing focus on a hyperactive Siberian Husky with any camera, yeah the 60D's focus system is mostly to credit but you still need a lens that'll lock on - Al Servo, center point, 1/1250, f2.8, ISO100, also on 60D

Like everyone else said, it's incredibly sharp close up, but does have other uses including low light indoors. In the pic above, my pregnant wife was playing that musical seahorse for our daughter just before we went to bed. The only light on was a light on the second floor which illuminates the stairs. Other than that, it was dark in the house. This shot almost definitely wouldn't have been possible hand-held (I braced it against the floor and used the 60D's swiveling screen to frame the shot) due to no IS but it might have been with the 50/1.8. But, the 50/1.8 can't do this...

1:1 focusing is AWESOME!!!

From your post below, it sounds like perhaps the decision for the 50mm isn't working out due to the field of view. It would have been worse with the 60mm. I'd recommend selling the kit lens and the 50/1.8 (unless you can return them for a full refund) and picking up the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC. It sounds like it's going to be the best compromise for you. And that's what all lenses are, a compromise in some way.

Good luck!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow