Re: Event Photography Flash - What to buy
In reply to Bruce Alan Foster, May 13, 2012

Bruce Alan Foster wrote:

Hi

The Alien Bee looks good, very good.
Does anyone know a UK supplier ?

They look compact, Light and STRONG !!
(I really like the strong part).

Yes, they are rugged. Mine are going on 6+years of a very rough and tumble life. have to send one in every once in awhile when I break something off or blow it up. $35 and they send me one that is virtually new.

Does anyone know how many flashes you can get out of the Vagabond power supply they recommend.

I REALLY like the idea of being able to use battery or mains.

Here is a review: http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11314-11226

I have a shoot coming up where I will be in a marquee and I just don’t know if there will be mains power....

I am not so worried about lighting the area, as I have battery and mains powered lamps.

Has anyone come across the Calumet Genesis 200 lights ?
Apparently these can run off mains or battery.

They are made by Bowens for Calumet. Nice I am sure but I believe use the Bowen stype battery for the direct DC input. They will be powered just fine by the Vagabonds as they deliver AC.

There are a bunch of Chinese manufactured strobes that fit that bill. I bought one off E-bay to test it. It is rated at 300WS and it does deliver that. However the power control is not linear ad the minimum power setting is around -3 stops from full. Not a huge issue for most work but something to be aware of. It came with a battery for location use that I found startlingly long lived despite its small size and light weight. All for under $200.

A good site to research is this:
http://www.lightingrumours.com/

British to boot! Very useful info on lots of Euro and UK sources.

Best of luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow