50mm APO-Summicron f/2

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm APO-Summicron f/2
In reply to TheGetor, May 13, 2012

Despite all the anti- Ken Rockwell sentiment on many photo forums, I find his site quite useful with nuggets of valuable information. In this particular case, however, it may good to have a look Erwin Puts' opinion on the Summilux 50 ASPH versus 50 Summicron:

"Stopping down to f/2 adds crispness to the very fine detail and from this moment on the Summilux is ahead of the Summicron-M 2/50mm. The jump in quality when going from 1.4 to 2 is however a subtle one and not as visible as with all other high-speed designs. It is easy to assume that a picture made at 1.4 was made at smaller apertures."

Translation: At F2, the current 50 Summilux ASPH is ahead of 50 Summicron. At F1.4 it is very good.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/lenses/page57.html

With all this hoopla around a $7k lens, there are a few EXCELLENT offerings that should not be forgotten: Zeiss 50MM Planar, for example. At $781 for a new lens with a three year warranty it is a stellar lens capable of stunning results.

The good thing is there are plenty of excellent choices to meet almost every budget in the 50MM M mount range: The latest APO, Summilux, Summicron, Planar, etc. Hopefully the folks crying and whining about prices will find one that fits their budget.

TheGetor wrote:

If you trust Ken Rockwell's words - http://www.kenrockwell.com - and I see no reason not to do that, here are some input to a purchasing decision. As always, it depends on what you shall use it for, right?

• There is no better 50mm lens on Earth than the LEICA SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2. The SUMMICRON is the world's reference for a 50mm photographic lens. Today's LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH is a stop faster, but bigger, heavier, ergonomically less pleasant and less sharp.

• The SUMMILUX-M ASPH has the best bokeh of any LEICA lens, and it is LEICA's best 50mm f/1.4 ever, however it is still not as sharp as the LEICA SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2.

• The ASPH f/1.4 lens has extraordinary bokeh. If you demand smooth out-of-focus backgrounds, this is the best lens I've ever seen from LEICA, ever. If you demand the absolutely sharpest possible lens, the SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2 is superior.

• This is the lens to have if you expect the best. If you're a photographer like me, I prefer the SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2, which is sharper, smaller, lighter, doesn't block the viewfinder, and is easy to buy. This SUMMILUX-M ASPH excels only at √©lan, bokeh and sunstars.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow