ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tallshorty
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?
5D3 weather seal tested. It works!
May 13, 2012

Here is my real life experience with the 5D3's weather sealing:

I recently took it on a trip to San Diego and Los Angeles. While in San Diego I went to Seaworld and took a ride on the river rafting ride. If anyone has been on this ride you will know you get completely soaked. I decided I want to capture the moment with my 5D3 + 17-40 L. The lens and camera got drenched. Everything seemed fine but later at night the index finger dial stopped responding. But by next day it was working fine again. This was probably due to the water.

Then on my last day in LA there was a huge storm with very heavy wind and rain. But it was our last day and my gf and I still wanted to go sight seeing. We both wore rain coats and I was carrying my 5D3 + 24-70L on a tripod completely exposed to the rain for about 3 hours. It literally felt like I was taking a shower. That's how heavy the rain was. Everything worked fine and I had no problems afterwards.

Anyway it seems the weather sealing works pretty well but I had a bit of a scare with the index finger dial. After coming home and doing some research on weather sealing and finding out that even some 1D's have failed due to rain I think I will be more careful next time and use a plastic bag. So take what you will from my experience.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow