OMD EM5 Battery Performance

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
kermitG9
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
Re: OMD EM5 Battery Performance
In reply to DanLeffel, May 13, 2012

DanLeffel wrote:

I just received my EM5 last week and yesterday did my first full day shoot with it. I was using the battery grip, and only was able to shoot about 360 images before the battery was totally gone, all within about 3 hours of shooting! And I hardly used the rear LCD at all!

I am used to my Canon 5DMK2 and 7D, where I could shoot for a couple of days and over 1000 images on a single battery. I do alot of hiking and don't have access to electricity for days at a time to charge batteries. I had hoped the EM5 could be a light weight replacement for my heavy Canon gear, but this battery performance could be a show stopper, unless I carry around 6 batteries!

360 shots in 3 hrs.. let me see, that's 2 shots per minute (?!?). I can't believe you'd continue shooting at that rate when hiking. But anyway, CIPA battery tests on mFT cameras usually oscilliate around 250 to 350 shots, so you're well within the boundaries.

Does the battery performance improve once the battery has been thru a couple of charge/discharge cycles?

Yes, like every lithium-ion battery. Until batteries are available, reduce sleep time and auto-power off to a maximum.

PS: I find it extremely annoying that Olympus had to introduce, again, a new battery type for the E-M5 .. and is then unable to satisfy stocks. I don't see any reason why the BLS-1 couldn't have been re-used.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow