Female Black Chinned Hummingbird. (4 imgs)

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Skip py
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
Re: Fred...
In reply to brandrx, May 13, 2012

Hi Ron

brandrx wrote:

Skip py wrote:

You know what ? ... I'm jealous

What a beautiful bird ! And pictures !
If only I had a house and such beautiful birds in my backyard
And a rocking chair !

Anyway, I'll have to practice with the Catch-in-Focus ! Amazing results ...
I should read the damn' manual one more time
Regards, fred

The best lens I have found to shoot the hummers, using catch-in-focus, is the DA*300/4 lens.

Better in what way ? It's about the SDM speed ? I don't get it :
the lens doesn't have to move ... o_O

Is it related to the time needed from focus wide open to closure to the desired f/stop ?

I noticed you also warned that it was working with the "Sigma 50-500mm APO HSM OS but not with the older model screwdrive Sigma 50-500mm" ... Why ? Too bad for me : I have the older one

I do not understand also what you wrote to Fl_Gulfer :

"An f4 or F5.6 lens will result in more images and more keepers than an f2.8 lens will." Even, if you close to f/4 or f/5.6 ? I don't get it either
Maybe because the focus is done while the lens is wide open ?

PS:
Did you opted like Marc Langille for the GT3541XLS to support your 250-600 ?

Yes, Marc talked me into getting that tripod along with the Wimberly Gimbal. I also bought the GT5541LS which will hold more weight (55 lbs versus 35 lbs) but will not expand as high as the GT3541XLS. According to B&H, both of those tripods have been discontinued.

Bad news for me I should have bought it when it was still available ... I'll have to search again ... but, I've learned the lesson, when I'll be prepare to buy it

PS2:

The video with the feading of hummingbirds - in the link you posted earlier - is really nice too for a commercial I can't see the second link (PBS), probably for licence reasons in my area ... too bad
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=41491202

Sorry you couldn't view that second video. It is very, very interesting.

Cheers.

Ron

Regards, fred

Skip py's gear list:Skip py's gear list
Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow