High ISO noise reduction and print proofing

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
E Dinkla
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?
Re: High ISO noise reduction and print proofing
In reply to Phil Hill, May 13, 2012

Phil Hill wrote:

Visibility of noise is dependent on magnification (print size). I don’t think there’s going to be a one-size-fits-all solution, and resampling an image to simulate various sizes of prints at 72/96 ppi is going to throw away data. Someday, when we have 300+ ppi displays you’ll be able to better simulate prints.

Even then I doubt you can visualize the noise impact in prints in the image on your display. The 1:1 way pixels are represented on your display is way different from the dithering/weaving of dots on the print that represent pixels there. The dynamic range is also more limited in the print. The noise is still there like the detail is there but with a different impact. There must be some analogy with aliasing, moiré etc, it is emphasized on the display's regular grid where it dissolves in the stochastic dot screening of the print.

The iPhone display is at that 300+ PPI level. Six bit level though I guess. An image crop on 1:1 print scale should tell whether it shows similar noise.

-- hide signature --

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow