ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
helps
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
DSLR/SLT vs. ultrazoom
May 13, 2012

Hi everyone,

I've been thinkning for months about right camera for me. I love taking photographs and have been using Panasonic DMC-FZ7. It's possible to take some decent pics with this camera, but I find it lacks some details -well, yea it's 6 MPX camera.

I've been looking at nikon d5100, sony a57 and possibly canon 600d (which I like the least). I'm looking for all around camera, but it'd be mostly used for taking pics of my and my friend's dogs, our trainings and competitions of dog agility - therefore it should be able to handle fast moving objects/dogs. I'm not gonna do that for living, so if there's not enough light, I wouldn't probably shoot. I mean, I don't have money to buy awesome 70-200 f/2.8 and I won't have in the near future..... For some time, I'd have to do with kit lens and some prime lens like 50 f/1.8 or something like that for portraits. I'd also use camera for traveling and nature in general. I was impressed by a57's features and like the idea of 12 FPS, but I guess it's not THAT needed for my purposes, because I can predict dog's path around agility course and be prepared at my spot. I'm also not sure about a57's ISO qualities and of course, it's new and quite pricey even with kit lens 18-55. BUT overall I like the idea of EVF and high FPS rate and all the other fun features of Sony. What I like about Nikon is their 18-105 kit lens and also the price of d5100. Its price seems to go down and it's available for reasonable money.

Another option is fast ultrazoom with good manual (PASM) setting possibilities and at least 2.8 lens (even better with 1.8 but I guess its not necessary). Im only worried if UZ can handle kind of action shots that I described. I'd also like to use it for portraits and worry about bokeh of UZ. Panasonic fz150 doesnt look bad (dont think its the best possible option though), it has twice that much megapixels as fz7, but Im not sure about its speed and overall picture quality. Anyway, I'd welcome any feedback and ideas on the best camera that would suit my needs. Thanks

bellow you can see some pictures of my dog taken with fz7

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow