Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ovengloves
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
7D & Sigma 120 300 OS
May 13, 2012

Hi folks, a couple of weeks ago I upgraded my 40D to a 7D. I mainly used it with my Canon 100 2.8L macro lens and the performance is excellent.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the Sigma 120-300 20.8 OS lens which again I was very happy with but yesterday I went to some cliffs to shoot the sea birds and none of the photos where the birds are flying are sharp.

I had the 7D on tracking focus and was using the central 9 points for it to focus. Settings were generally 1/1000th at F8 and I had OS turned on but it wasn't in panning mode 2 as I forgot all about it. But I expected at least a couple of sharp shots. Photos of the birds on the ground were generally OK but they were obviously not moving and there was much much less contrast.

One other point, I have a Kenko Pro 2X teleconverter, when fitted to my Canon 70-200 2.8 the images are exceptable. When fitted to the Sigma the photos are unuseable. Also it has become apparent that the 7D over exposes by about a stop if there is anything like a hint of contrast regardless of lens. This didn't show itself until more recently as there hadn't been any sun.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this combination or/and encountered the focus problem.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow