XPro-1 -V- K5 images

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?
Re: XPro-1 -V- K5 images
In reply to PG Thomas, May 13, 2012

With the comparable modern camera we will never see any part of IQ be "much" better on one than on another. Any advancement is small and we can easily argue that for 99% of any situations, professional or not it doesn't matter. It would be impossible to tell if a shot published in a high quality magazine was made with K5 or xpro1, for example.

The K5 sensor is now already a generation old, but still they did squeeze a lot from that sony.

I really like the pentax engineers and their legacy, but in the long run, both the x100 and xpro1 have far higher appeal to me.
And by "far" I mean abandoning the pentax completely and use fuji now.

I think pentax missed the beat with k01, and together with Ricoh they should be the one selling xpro1 today, not fuji! How that happened, I don't know.

PG Thomas wrote:

LaFonte wrote:

i think you should compare some outdoor scene with lot of going on and then choose what looks most pleasing to you. you can't judge dynamic range for example from this scene you did.

I had k5 and returned it because at that time my x100 gave me better balanced scenes with smoother shadows than the k5. K5 is great for sure, but I liked the x100 images better.

I agree. But then I wann't so much looking for DR. Anyway it was raining hard! - No sun :-(. I was rather entering the debate on absolute resolution (i.e. is ithe XPro as good as FF) which is going on. Certainly the JPG processing is much better with the XPro than the K5.. And high ISO noise appears better. Which partialy explains your comment about smoother shadows.

But I'm not convinced that the resolution is 'a lot' higher than the K5. It is a bit better but not a lot and the K5 is more 'tweekable' than the XPro.

My simple test could be limited by the optics (even though the FA50 1.4 at F5.6 (centre) it should be sufficiently good to check this.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/pentax_50_1p4_p15/4

Pete

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow