ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andy_kaka
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Canon 15-85mm or Sigma 17-70mm?
May 12, 2012

Hi,

I have a T3i and is looking to upgrade my 18-55mm kit lens. I've narrowed down my search to either the Canon 15-85 or Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 lens. Now I'm stuck and not sure which one to get. I'm not considering the 17-55 or 17-50 f2.8 as I would prefer a longer range as I'm going to use it as a walkaround lens.

Price wise, I can get a used Canon for $100 more then a new Sigma, so that is not too much of a concern for me.

I like to take pictures of landscapes and cityscapes, travel pics and macros (mostly flowers) ... I don't take much portrait or kid pics. From looking at my previous pictures, I take about 70% of my pics outdoors in sunlight of stationary objects. I also like taking pictures of food, but that's what my 50mm f1.8 is for. I like the 15mm wide on the Canon, and I like the f2.8 of the Sigma. The tele end isn't as much of a factor, but of course, the 85mm would be a bonus if I only carry one lens.

My current gear is the T3i, 18-55, 55-250, 50mm 1.8, and a 430ex.

Based on the type of pictures I currently like to take, which lens is better suited for me? I'm also a bit of a pixel peeper, so I would like a sharper lens with good IQ. From looking at reviews online, it seems that the Sigma is not as sharp unless I stop down the lens, which negates the f2.8. However, it's still good to have for those indoor shots without flash.

Thanks for reading and your opinions!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow