Canon goes mirrorles in June (no m43 partner I guess)

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,863
Like?
Re: Canon G1X sensor avenue in a mirrorless system renders no need for m43 partner...
In reply to Sdaniella, May 12, 2012

sdyue wrote:

jackdeparte wrote:

Now the last of the BIG ones is coming:
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-mirrorless-system-camera-to-be-announced-in-may/

In June we will finally see if Canon can make it better than Nikon. Would have been nice if they woudl join the m43 system but I think as usual companies will go their own way (see Fuji with the X and Nikon with the 1).

Question is. What could Canon do better than Olympus/Panasonic?

as elsewhere Canon m43 unlikely, given their PowerShot G1 X sensor in a mirrorless makes more sense

as they could readily be adapt to EF/EF-S lenses already in existence or other 35mm lenses by other mfrs.

it would simply be a 1.8543x crop system with 'better tele reach'

hopefully they will INCLUDE the PowerShot G/60D/600D VASS (Vari-Angle Swivel Screen) as well as the EOS-1 Dual Controls that are classic to the XXD/XD EOS dSLRs.

meanwhile, I'd like to see a PowerShot G1 X 24-96mm FOV variant instead of a 28-112mm FOV one now.

if Canon decides to ever shift their tiny digicam sensors up a size, to say 4/3", they could do that for their S100 series instead, and let it 'grow' a bit in size, albeit, just a little bit, as a 4/3" sensor isn't that great of a size jump from most digicam sensors, and leave the smaller sensors exclusive to SX 35x 'superzooms' (24-840mm FOV).

sorry, but the 4/3 sensor is practically the same size as the G1x sensor. Way bigger than a small digicam sensor.

The last digicam sensor from Canon was their 2/3" sensor of the Pro1, which i had hoped would be APS-C sized for some future update, but that never materialized till their PowerShot G1X showed up with a smaller 1.5" sensor instead even though it is significantly larger than their old 2/3" Pro1 sensor.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow