Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
OMD to EPM1
May 13, 2012

I have been following the m4/3rds forum for a while now because I was interested in getting the Om-d. The plan I was thinking about was to sell off my Sony gear and move to the Om-d. I was having some second thoughts about it though because while the Om-d is a great camera, I really like some of my A-mount gear and the A55 does some fun in camera stuff. Also, I would basically be starting at square one with the Om-d and it would take awhile before I would be able to build up a 4/3rds gear collection.

Then I was in a Ritz Camera shop a couple days ago and decided to take a look at some of the Pen cameras. I found that I liked them more than I thought I would. They are svelt looking and seem to be pretty well built. Very nice little cameras actually.

On the way home I started thinking about why I first considered m4/3rds to be a possibility and really it was all about the small size. I did some more research online looking at the Om-d, and the G3. Basically, those cameras strike me as being small sized DSLRs. Very nice cameras for sure, but still considerably larger than a camera like the Pen Mini.

Then I started looking at prices online and found that many of the Pen cameras are selling dirt cheap. In fact, the Pen Mini is selling for a similar price to many higher end point and shoots. The Epl-1 is incredibly cheap, but it is an older camera with a lower resolution screen and it is still a bit larger than the Pen Mini. So I just ordered a Pen Mini, and because of the low price I don't need to feel like I need to sell off any of my other stuff at this point.

So, instead of diving head first into the m4/3rds pond I am just wading in up to my knees, so to speak. There may very well still be an Om-d in my future, but for now I'm excited to be getting the Pen Mini. I'm looking at it as a high end, high IQ, point and shoot with interchangeable lenses. I'm really looking forward to seeing those Olympus colors I've been reading about. My first digital camera, many years ago, was an Olympus point and shoot and I know I liked the output from that camera. I can't wait to get my new Pen.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow