Decisions, Decisions: NEX-7 vs. Oly OMD E-M5:

Started Mar 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
darkref
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Like?
Re: my interest was in your 5n-to-7 globe comparison crops
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, May 12, 2012

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Wasn't even thinking about the Olympus, my interest was in seeing the Nex 5n versus Nex 7 globe comparison raw files. Come to think of it why wouldn't you link us to your test images of from all 3 cameras.

And has been pointed out exhaustively, it makes no sense to compare images between cameras of different resolution without either resizing down the higher-megapixel camera, or upsizing the lower-megapixel camera, so that both images contain roughly the same number of pixels.

Because when in the world would you let print or display size ever be dictated by camera sensor resolution? You always say "I want to look at 10 inch long prints from both cameras to compare resolution", or "I want to display 1920 pixel wide images from both cameras, side by side, to compare resolution". Nobody ever says "I want to compare low-res sensor X's images on a 10 inch wide print, to high-res sensor Y's images on a 13 inch wide print".

Because if you did that, if you compared a smaller image from a lower-resolution sensor against a larger-pixel-count image from a higher-resolution sensor, you'd be greatly penalizing the optical quality of the (hopefully same) lens--when using it with the high-resolution sensor. Literally muddying the validity of the sensor noise and ultimate image quality at a given display size comparison.

Oh, I just downloaded the raws from the studio comparison tool, opened in photoshop, resized to approximately 16mpix and saved them both as a JPG edit, I think I kept them as raws actually, then saved the comparison as a jpg) and compared in lightroom.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow