Zeiss 24mm is of poor quality control: oval apertures and decentered lens?

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
heptagon
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
Zeiss 24mm is of poor quality control: oval apertures and decentered lens?
May 12, 2012

I have personally attempted 3 samples of the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 lens for NEX cameras (SEL24F18Z). All of them suffer from a different degree of problem where the shape of the aperture appears to be oval with f-number 8 or bigger f-numbers (smaller apertures).

First of all, let me show you guys what a semi-expensive lens really should do at around f/16.

This is a lens purchased by someone in China a while ago:

Note that the shape of the aperture is almost a regular heptagon (which is the shape closest to circular with 7 blades).

This is a lens I found with Google Images:

Still close to circular right?

Now this is my first tragedy, purchased from Hong Kong:

Wanna see how it affects the bokeh?

And this is a sample purchased by my friend in the US:

To prove that I'm not an online actor to demote this product or troll, check out the review at photographyblog - they've got an oval sample as well:

The following sad story is that I've tried two more samples from Sonystyle UK. The first sample from Sonystyle UK was better than the above but still less than perfect. I returned it and attempted another one from Sonystyle UK but it's even a lot worse! Now I'm placing my third order at Sonystyle UK but they tell me that they're going to blacklist me from purchasing more samples of the lens or reject my future returns. I'm annoyed because I believe this is obviously the fault of Sony having poor quality control, and I'm inclined to contact Trading Standards to invoke my returns rights according to Distance Selling Regulations.

In order to back up my claims that this lens is of poor quality control, check out the review at lensrentals:

This is what they got when they first published their test results at wide open:

And this is what happens when they tested samples from a different batch:

It is pretty clear that some batches are bad!

Also check out this thread in this forum:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=41484429

I'm now curious to see what you guys think of this. Am I expecting too much from a semi-expensive lens?

heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow