Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
XZ-1 color and monochrome test
May 12, 2012

Tonight, I saved $10,000, and, maybe, my marriage.

Because I've been reading about the new Leica M9 Monochrom. A full-frame black-and-white digital camera. 'The right stuff.' But then, about 10K for the camera and a lens.

'Wait!' I thought. 'Can't have my wife throw me out of the house on Mother's Day. After all, my XZ-1 can do that monochrome stuff, too. As good as the Leica, I'll bet.'

Here's the scene at the store. XZ-1 on a shelf, about 35-40 feet away from the wall shelf display:

Took two pictures, one Vivid color, the other Monochrome. Underwater white-balance. 2-sec self-timer, f/8, 1/3 sec, ISO 100... same for both images. Here are 100% crops from the original images --

Looks like the in-camera color-to-monochrome processing loses a bit. Leica, not! Back to the drawing board. This time, below, comparing the in-camera mono crop to a new crop from the color original, but this time turned into monochrome in Xara Designer Pro, my art program. With lowered brightness, added contrast and sharpening... better! And good enough to keep that wallet in my pocket, this Mother's Day.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow