My full review of the new X2 is up!

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ming Thein
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
I can't comment.
In reply to streeteyes, May 12, 2012

Haven't shot the NEX 5N enough to know it's image quality, and the Zeiss 24/1.8 is something I handled for half an hour or so. Wouldn't be fair on either camera.

What I do know is that the EVF on the Sony cameras definitely appears sharper to my eyes, though there's not a lot in it. Both frankly don't deal with dynamic range in a satisfying way - high contrast scenes block up too fast, and black is never really black - so neither will replace an optical finder, especially in low light. But both are 'good enough'.

I prefer the controls of the X1 to the NEX5 I owned, but I never shot extensively with the NEX5N - presumably its touch panel must make life a bit easier; it certainly does on my OM-D. I find myself wishing the D800E had it, actually.

streeteyes wrote:

Hi Ming,

Nice review. Just curious though. Two cameras with (what I surmise are) two equal sensors. Have you any experience with Sony's NEX 5N and its EVF (3MP I believe...same as the EVF in the A65 and A77 cameras) and their 24mm Zeiss f1.8?

If you have I'd love to hear your thoughts on the IQ of the two. I know 'control-wise' the simplicity of the X2 will beat the NEX 5N hands down (although the NEX 5N does have some nice tricks up it's electronic sleeve). But what about the bottom line of image?

Thanks
--
Life is an infinite series of moments called now. My job is to capture them.

-- hide signature --

Leica Camera brand ambassador and NPS member.
Portfolio and photographic musings at http://www.blog.mingthein.com

Ming Thein's gear list:Ming Thein's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Leica S2 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow