Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,568Gear list
Like?
Re: Bovine by-product!
In reply to tdptdp, May 12, 2012

tdptdp wrote:

MJSfoto1956 wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

Those ratings make absolutely no sense. The actual measurements are the same with the exception of more resolution for the D3x. Still the rating for instance for the 16-35 and 80 f/1.4 are higher on the D4.

They make no sense if you are under the assumption that more megapixels = bigger prints. The DxO tests prove what pros already know: quality of the pixels = bigger prints. It remains to be seen which lens the D800 is superior and which lens the D4 is superior. I'm guessing that the 105mm will improve with the D800 but the 70-200mm might be better on the D4. Wait and see.

And if you are wondering what the score means it represents a linear PRINT scale. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but a score of 24 equals a print size of just 12" x 18" using their model. A score of 30 would give you a print size of 13.3" x 20". And so on. And what they mean by these print sizes is that an image printed larger than its score will have flaws that are discernible to a trained eye. My own tests validate their methodology. Keep in mind, these are maximum scores. Should you use a higher ISO or less optimal settings for your lens, even printing at these sizes would reveal flaws that a trained expert could detect. The score does NOT mean that you can't print your image much bigger -- rather, that beyond the size implied by the score threshold your image will have flaws that upon close inspection are readily apparent to the human eye.

In other words, those ratings make absolutely no sense. Good thing I've never sold a print to a trained expert.

LOL. Yes, it must be difficult to be a trained expert as all you would notice are flaws!

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow