2nd D5100 or D7000 ?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
LJohnK2
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Re: What I bought...
In reply to LJohnK2, May 12, 2012

For anyone interested....after playing with both the D5100 and D7k side by each at the camera store...my key takeaways.

• I did like the D7k's multiple cross AF points but they are so clustered together that they really wouldn't be as useful for me as I had thought when framing stills.....if shooting action though with better/faster glass (the store let me play with some of that to) I could definitely see the benefit, very responsive.

• D7K matrix metering inside was predictable, which is pretty much what I had been told... no extreme highlights to experience the clipping thing reported

• the D7k OVF although larger is so flush that when I look through it my nose (perhaps its big ) was pressed right up against the LCD....smearing....yuk...same issue I has with the D80, surprised that spacers aren't readily available for this.

The store also had a vertical OVF attachment that I didn't know Nikon made, but not something of convenience IMHO.

• the D7k direct access buttons were as convenient as I expected...the Menu system is a random as ever and I was surprised that the Auto ISO setup fixed ISO to full stop as lower tier models given everything else you could change.

• the weight of the D7k body itself did not seem as heavy as I expected when looking at the spec....probably because the grip is so nice, but even with the relatively light 18-105, when I clipped on the external flash, just could not see me lugging it around anywhere

In the end I left the store with a 2nd D5100....with some of the cash I theoretically saved I bought a little SB 400 flash to take when I travel so I don't have to haul the SB-600.

Thanks to those that shared there opinions/experience....I should be done with bodies for a couple of years now. I wish all lifes quandries where this pleasant !

Cheers

-- hide signature --

LJohnK

LJohnK2's gear list:LJohnK2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow