Panny DMC-GH2 or What Else?

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
bradbunnin
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Panny DMC-GH2 or What Else?
In reply to mondolulu, May 11, 2012

I made a similar trip to Kenya and Tanzania (bracketed by a short visit to Dubai on the way there and three days on Zanzibar on the way back) last year, and I found the 14-140 and the 100-300 extremely useful. In fact, those were the only lenses I needed. My 45-200 was sharp enough, but the other two lenses were the only ones I used. The Micro 4/3 conversion factor means, in essence, that you'd have a focal length range of 28mm to 600mm. And, because the GH2 can roughly double the focal length electronically, your effective range is really extended to about 1200mm. You'll use the long focal lengths!

Take plenty of memory cards with you, and at least two batteries (three are better). And prepare to shoot video. I hadn't planned to, but when I experimented the first day, I decided that I'd use the camera's extraordinary video capabilities whenever animals were in motion. I was astonished at the quality, and I'd had next to no experience with video.

I had a beanbag and a wooden bowl-shaped device with a tripod screw, but I never used it. The GH2's stabilization worked extremely well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow