Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
E-M5 X-sync speeds
May 11, 2012

I'm puzzled by the E-M5's differing X-sync speeds for various flashes and triggering methods. The clip on flash syncs to 1/250th. With a Metz 48 on camera my highest shutter speed is 1/160. My YN-560 II syncs cleanly at 1/250 (the camera doesn't limit shutter speed here). I understand that other units sync at different speeds as well. Strangely, the Metz 48 syncs at 1/250 when triggered optically (by YN-560 II on camera). But then why won't the E-M5 let me choose 1/250 with the Metz on camera? (The E-M5's behavior is the same in TTL and manual flash modes.) I would really like to be able to use the Metz at 1/250 for TTL fill flash.

On a positive note, I was also able to try higher shutter speeds using the YN-560 II and found that 1/320 is almost clean: there's just the slighest black band at the top (!) -- no more than 5% of the frame at most, so only slight cropping is needed to eliminate it. Things are only slightly worse when optically triggering the Metz, due to propogation delay I presume.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow