GH2 users that went to E-M5, Impressions?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
But is the improvement worth the price?
In reply to Jman13, May 11, 2012

From what I've seen on the various sites, I would agree with the above, except I think the controls on the GH2 seem much better to me. The commonly used functions are simply much more accessible with direct physical controls, rather than multiple button pushes, dial twisting and screen taps.

The question, though, is whether the better performance of the OMD is worth nearly double the cost of a GH2 (if you include the grip) if you're choosing between the two new, or an even greater differential if you're talking about selling a GH2 and replacing it.

For me, the answer is no. The DR and noise levels of the GH2 suit me fine. The ergos and mulit-aspect sensor of the GH2 are important. The articulated screen, while certainly not critical, is more useful to me than the tilt-only, since I shoot a large percentage of vertical shots. I also like being able to turn the screen inwards when I'm not using it.

In terms of IQ, the OMD is better, but not enough better to overcome the price differential and other benefits the GH2 offers. Were they priced closer together, and the horizontal grip included with the OMD, I might feel differently. But that's my opinion; to others, it may be well worth the price.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow