Waiting for the D600 :

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,064Gear list
Like?
or maybe it's a trick like with lenses
In reply to jhinkey, May 11, 2012

for example I own the superb 85mm f1.4G

I think about one year later Nikon came out with the 1.8G - it's IQ is marginally lower, for example the bokeh is marginally less creamy, and it's less superbly sharp from one open. But on the other hand it's lighter and focuses a tad faster.

So Nikon could have launched the two together, right?

Wrong - if they had done so, they would have missed the opportunity to sell 85mm f1.4's to all those people who could afford them, at roughly 3x the price of the f1.8.

The D800 vs D600 thing seems similar: the D600 cannot really AF less well than the D800 because it would be a joke if it was worse than the old D700. And less than 100% view nowadays, just would seem utterly ridiculous. So my take is that the D800 will just prove to have been the new FX camera for those who could afford it and thought they couldn't wait - and then the D600 will be a good 35% cheaper and have most of the features.

And again, the D600 might have things like U1 and U2 positions - wow - which the D800 can't do. It might also have kepf the AF mode levers.

It's smart marketing and utility maximization from Nikon - but it's done by hurting customers.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow