I wonder if DX is on the way out?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,329Gear list
Like?
Re: Last I looked, DX was 90% of sales...
In reply to JimPearce, May 11, 2012

JimPearce wrote:

I think Nikon will do well to increase FX sales to 20% of DSLRs.

Thats completely due to price point though Jim. If they bring to market a mid priced FX camera, savy users will start migrating to it. No, its not going to happen overnight but it is going to happen. If its successful, Canon will do the same thing.

I stated this elsewhere but I do believe that Nikon is trying to move the prosumer market toward FX; Not really any "pro" DX lenses and from what we know, nothing in the pipeline. They are now trying to do 3 lines; mirrorless, DX and FX. I think they will keep DX around for a while but it will be relegated to the $1k and lower bodies. The majority of folks buying those are quite happy with the kit lens and when they do upgrade to better glass; its something like the 16-85 or the 18-200.

The mom's and pop's are not buying 2.8 glass. So why build a pro quality DX body when you cant buy a matching DX lens? Serious photographers are the ones buying the better glass and with a camera like the D800, you have more than enough resolution to crop to DX anyway.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow