Real world example - lifting shadows

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hans Kruse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,068
Like?
Re: Risedal and Kruse
In reply to The_Suede, May 11, 2012

The_Suede wrote:

I'm getting the general feeling that you're advocating an "expose to the left" type of exposure strategy - this works well for some images, as it maximizes the shadow detail in a Canon camera.

I think you intend to say shoot to the right or ETTR and yes I advocate for shooting ETTR for maximum quality and I'm also saying that with the new algorithms in LR4 and ACR 7 there is even more latitude beyond clipping the RAW values. I'm still waiting for a writeup of how this really works under the hood. It's quite impressive and good news for users of all cameras and especially if you are pressed for DR which you also can be with a D800, just a little later than a Canon.

In fact, that strategy (unless taken to its' extremes) might be a good strategy for most Canon cameras. But the hard clipping in the top end needs more attention in my opinion. You can't just stare blindly at one range of exposure values.

In order to minimize noise ETTR is also the best strategy using Nikon or Sony with Exmor type sensors. The linear SNR curve gives more flexibility with the Exmor sensors and I'm certainly not dismissing this fact. But you do get more noise equivalent to shooting at an equivalent ISO in camera when increasing exposure in pp. But this is hardly news...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow