Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Buchanan
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
Ideas on lenses for 5DIII
May 11, 2012

Decided to get 5D3. Currently use 60D with main use shooting basketball. Looks like 5D3 will be a great upgrade in high ISO and AF performance. Also use the 60D for portraits, outdoor sports, vacations/general usage. Although not a serious landscape shooter, we vacation in the west a lot and I enjoy shooting the scenery. Would keep 60D for backup and might sell my 17-55. Present EF lenses are 50 1.8; 85 1.8, 70-200L 2.8II, and 100-400L.

With FF experience I could use some recommendations regarding lenses for the 5D3. My budget for camera and lens(es) is around $5K. Of course there is the $4,299 kit with 24-105 which makes the lens to $800 so it seems like a good walk around for the price. Some seem to like it, others don't. I know many buy it just to sell it for a profit but I don't want to hassle with that. I am also tempted to go with the body-only and the 35L, a lens everyone seems to like but I am leery of a prime as my walkaround. With the double lens rebates the 35L option would be $4,778.

Seems a shame to not grab the double rebate discounts and the kit savings so maybe the best deal would be the 24-104 kit and another lens. However then it is difficult to keep it in budget. The double rebate makes the 17-40 plus the kit attractive with the camera and both lenses only $5,018 but that seems like a lot of overlap. Kit plus the 35L is hurting the limit at $5,578 and Kit plus 16-35 is even more at $5,778. I kind of favor the this last one and could part with my 17-55 to bring my cost within budget.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Tim

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +11 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow