Strange 5Dlll in Thailand

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
Re: Strange 5Dlll in Thailand
In reply to riknash, May 11, 2012

Not cheaper really. But I am coming home to visit my mom so when I leave I get a 7% vat refund. So $500 refund for the 300. The dollar is at 31/baht so I will save a couple hundred or so.. The new 300 is pretty sweet for sure I think. But the 800 is way to heavy and big for me.. I have the 500mm f4L IS and it is almost to much. If I have the money when the new 500 hits I will try and get it for the weight savings. I bought the 300 because I use it as a walk around lens. I think a great walk around lens for birding.

riknash wrote:

Lucky you for the shiny new 300/2.8 IS II. Are prices any lower there than NA? So you decided against 1DIV to replace 7D? You'll need that 800/5.6 to compensate

garyknrd wrote:

You are right of course. I am there in the same boat. I bought a new lens today. But it is kinda different. Nikon kinda slammed dunked this one... LOL Here in Thailand it looks like. I still would lovvvvvve to have the Mklll. I am going to sit it out until the pirce drops... I hope..

bjdbjd wrote:

Still think there will be a LOT of people who will stick with "what they know" and what they've already made significant investments in.

Before I upgraded from 7D to 5Dmk3 i did consider the D800 for about a nanosecond, but realised i was just too invested in the Canon glass and didn't have enough motivation to force me to make a wholesale switch to Nikon. Sure I agree the D800 appears to be a fantastic machine and I am sure I would have loved it, but I just have too much Canon glass, and am still faithful to the brand.

Nikon would have to consistently trump Canon on camera quality and features, and Canon would have to consistently screw up in terms of feayure parity and quality control before I'd care enough to make the switch.

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow