Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevebarron
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
A77 + Tamron 18-270 PZD in-camera lens correction
May 11, 2012

I shoot RAW+JPEG and since I updated to Firmware version 1.05 I have noticed when inside Lightroom (versions 3.6 and 4.x) that when viewing my RAWs and JPEGS side by side or cliking from the RAW to the JPEG and back, that there has been some lens correction applied - in-camera! I do apply lens profiles for bothe the Tamron and the Sony 16-50 SSM in Lightroom but have disabled (and uninstalled) these for the time being to try to find out what is going on here.

My camera settings are on Auto for all settings relating to lens corrections and they seem to work perfectly on jpegs with my 16-50 SSM Sony lens and prior to firmware version 1.05, no corrections were applied in-camera when using the Tamron lens. Now however, they are applied. I have tried turning the camera lens correction settings to OFF and when I view the images in Lightroom there are no lens corrections or differences between RAW and JPEG other than the expected variance in brightness, contrast, whiete balance, saturation, etc.

I suspect that there is a "bug" in firmware 1.05 that is misreading my Tamron and thinks it is some sort of Sony lens. The lens "correction" that is applied is only a small amount of barrel "correction" and it seems to be the same to each image regardless of focal length so it not actuially corecting anything - if anything it is probably distorting further in some instances.

Anyone else experienced this phenomena or something similar or know why it is happening and if there is a way to correct it or stop it from hapening?

Obvioulsy, I can simply turn the in-camera lens corections OFF when using the Tamron but it is a minor nuisance to have to do that each time I change lenses back and forth.

stevebarron's gear list:stevebarron's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow