For those who want minimum shutter speed w/Auto ISO

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
wilburpan
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
Re: For those who want minimum shutter speed w/Auto ISO
In reply to impig, May 11, 2012

impig wrote:

Please note that setting the aperture AND shutter speed gets you into the manual exposure mode where (with auto ISO) exposure compensation dial is not working and everything is exposed to "average exposure, 0".

True, but what I probably should have made more clear in my original post was that I was in shutter priority mode when setting the shutter speed to what I wanted the minimum to be.

And I think I might be missing something in the "exposure compensation doesn't work in manual mode" thing. In playing around with exposure compensation with Auto ISO 1600 on, I find that my X-Pro 1 seems to follow this algorithm:

Aperture priority mode: when exposure compensation is set, change shutter speed accordingly until hitting 1/30s, then adjust ISO.

Shutter priority mode: when exposure compensation is set, change aperture accordingly until hitting the limit of the lens, then adjust ISO.

So in manual mode, I'm guessing that since aperture and shutter are both fixed, you would expect exposure comp to adjust ISO, in which case you could just do it via the ISO control. I have the Fn button set to bring up the ISO menu, so it's pretty fast, although admittedly not as fast as twiddling the exposure comp wheel. But the plus side is that you get way more than +2/-2 EV range by going to the ISO menu directly.

This is not to say that it wouldn't be nice to have the exposure compensation dial to work in manual mode. All I'm saying is that it may not be as critical a bug as people say.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow