50mm APO-Summicron f/2

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
Re: 50mm APO-Summicron f/2
In reply to starwolfy, May 11, 2012

starwolfy wrote:

I am wondering myself too why this new Summicron is so much more expensive than the current 50mm F1.4 ASPH...which was judge already and by many has THE ultimate 50mm for sharpness and bokeh.

I then thought...ok...it's a Summicron so it must be small and light. Then I saw it weights around 300g...which is quite almost similar to the Summilux in black version.

So...I do not understand this price either.
Might it be better corrected...even compared to the Lux?

I think when super lenses like 35mm F1.4 ASPH II and the later Lux are priced so high...it is justified by the fact that it delivers super high quality, relatively small package and reasonable weight...as well as being really bright.

I just don't get why this Summicron is positioned even at a higher price.

If Leica's position is that this new 50mm Summicron is the pinnacle of optical performance then presumably that is their justification at pricing it above the 50/1.4. Whether it is slower, or lighter, or whatever is surely irrelevant.

Of course whether Leica purchasers are prepared to pay this very high price is an entirely different matter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow