My full review of the new X2 is up!

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ming Thein
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
Agreed...
In reply to ravinj, May 11, 2012

This is one of the things I'm battling with on the D800E - it seems that a different set of lenses is needed to get the most out of the camera, and those are often quite surprising choices. Matching lenses to sensors is something that has to be taken increasing seriously as the demands of the sensors increase.

The more I shoot with the X2, the more I feel that whilst the 24/2.8 was an excellent match for the X1 at every aperture, it's a little bit soft at f2.8 on the X2. By f4 it's back on song.

Another excellent pairing - from the limited samples I've seen - is the Pentax 40mm 'super pancake' and K-01.

ravinj wrote:

A DSLR and a Zeiss lens can obviously produce good photos. The point about X1/X2 is excellent quality in a small size. If size is irrelevant then there are other excellent choices. My Zeiss 24mm ZA weighs a ton. Adding my now sold Sony A850 produced a tank that was capable of stunning results. My X1 was lighter and smaller and produced comparable output.

MTF charts do not tell the whole story. The way a sensor/lens combination renders is most important.

-- hide signature --

Leica Camera brand ambassador and NPS member.
Portfolio and photographic musings at http://www.blog.mingthein.com

Ming Thein's gear list:Ming Thein's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Leica S2 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow