Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
expat42451
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
OMD E5 raw files and Aperture
May 11, 2012

Interesting phone call with Apple support today. It seems that they are unable to say when or if Aperture will have support for ORF-- the Oly OMD E5 RAW files. I ordered an E5 a couple of days ago-- it is promised me NLT Tuesday of this coming week. I have Aperture and have been using it to process NEF from my Nikon D 7000 which found a new and loving home today. I purchased the E5 because its small, rugged and weatherproof and using the comparison widget here on DPReview against my Nikon and others....it looks pretty impressive. Plus the D 7000 and associated lens are heavy and would not fit into a backpacking trip coming up in a few weeks.

Smart me. Downloaded the zipped ORF files from the E5 review to play with (after playing with the widget comparison tool on the site). I have RawTherapee, GIMP and Aperture on my laptop. Tried loading the ORF files into Aperture and rec'd an "un supported file type" message even though the Aperture browser part of "import new library" would open the thumbnails. Wont open them after importing. Nope. Raw Therapee and GIMP handle the ORF files no problem. I want to be able to use among other things, the Topaz denoise plugin which is compatible with Aperture , Lightroom &c. So ok I figured, eat the $80 I spent on Aperture and put Lightroom on the machine. Surprised I am when I find that Lightroom and other Adobe products apparently (from browsing and Googling) do not support ORF. So that leaves what JPEG? I admit the JPEG engine is pretty impressive on the E5 but I ve been working with RAW for years and........

I am curious, since I am very enthusiastic about this pretty little U4/3 camera, what all of you who have already received your copies are doing for RAW processing and workflow from the OMD E5. As a note --during all of this I though no problem and used the Adobe DNG converter to convert the ORF's. Aperture still would not open them. Admittedly I can use GIMP and RawTherapee for PP but no plugins and not an optimal workflow to me.

Additionally I don't see the practicality of putting Photoshop on a 13" MacBook Pro considering the platform, where I will be doing most of my PP (somewhere in the Brazilian jungle) and the fact that PP will suck some battery.

Thanks for all of the expertise here. I ve been lurking for a while gaining knowledge about U4/3 and wonder if this is going to be another instance of having to re-invent the wheel or am I missing something evident??

Regards
Expat

expat42451's gear list:expat42451's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow