Saving Images on computer

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,409Gear list
Like?
Re: Saving Images on computer
In reply to Reggie40, May 10, 2012

Reggie40 wrote:

I have a bit of a mess in my computer picture library with images saved in PSD JPEG DNG and NEF. I shoot mostly in JPEG fine and some RAW(5% of images). My current camera is a Nikon D7000 and software is Lightroom 4 . I also have the Nikon software that came with the camera. What is the best way to save my JPEG and RAW images so I don't have 4 different formats ?

Each one has a job to do.

JPEG of various sizes you need to deliver to the website or to friends or to clients. That's the end product.

NEF / DNG - for me, choose one. DNG was supposed to rule the world, it hasn't. I would stick to NEF and you probably have XMP file pairs to go with the NEF. NEF is your untouched original file so you keep that.

PSD is an intermediate - if you photoshop with layers and tricks, and you MIGHT come back to this intermediate file not start from scratch to increase something by a few percent, then you need to keep your PSD. If you never use layers and stuff and don't ever want to start mid way but always start from the original source, you can chuck the PSD

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow